How Does a Circular Theater Stage Work?
Handling Specialty was approached by the technical director of the Pacific Repertory Theater in Carmel, CA, to engineer and manufacture a rotating circular stage (double revolving stage) that included both an inner and an outer ring. Both rings on the circular theatre rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise and can move together or separately to meet show cues. The rings are also capable of stopping and reversing motion independently of each other, with minimal acceleration and deceleration time.
Circular Theater Features
- Inner revolving stage platform – 216” D, centred against center pin bearing and supported on 48 inverted, height-adjustable, polyurethane wheels.
- Outer revolving theater – 217” ID x 311-1/2” OD, centred by three adjustable centring wheels acting against the ring frame and supported by inverted, height-adjustable, polyurethane wheels.
- Both rotating circular platforms are friction-driven by a gear brake motor and polyurethane wheel.
- Motors are controlled via VFD or handheld pendants.
- Quiet, smooth rotation, stops and starts.